Monday, June 9, 2008

Fate - Part I

“Poor boy, you seem to be so nice and good. Why had fate to be so cruel on you?”
“My Fate never gives what I want and it will never too”
“Whatever I ask for, Fate seems to be giving the exact opposite of it”
“Whatever is written in Fate will happen, you cannot change it” !


What does one feel when one listens to such words ? How does one feel when one talks such words ? Is Fate really that bad ? Does fate exist ? Can, what is once written as Fate/destiny by God, not be changed by anyone ?

To be honest, for reasons unknown, I was not a great believer in fate. As a child and a teenager, I never believed that God had written off for every person his/her fate at the time of his/her birth. I thought, if God had already seen the past of the person, and has also written the future of the same then there exists no purpose for him in the present !

But then as I kept growing thinking thus, experience has had a strange way of teaching me things. Like ever they give us the exams first and then teach us the lesson. :-)

So, when an old lady saw me at the Visa Interview and heard of my desire to fly high with my dreams inspite of my disability, she ended up remarking “Poor boy, you seems to be so nice and good. Why had fate to be so cruel on you ?” :-)

When my own mother was drenched in sorrow seeing the troubles ahead in store, my dad ended up comforting her saying ““Whatever is written in Fate will happen, you cannot change it”. :-)

When one of my best friends could not end up with a job what he wanted the most inspite of numerous trials, he said “Fate never gave me what I want and it never will”. :-)

I was left wondering ! I had no option but to change my opinion on Fate. Experience had taught me. I could no longer deny its existence ! And how could I too ?

When I see a 20 year old girl, who desires to study higher and see greater places, forcibly married away to a well to do boy just because its time for them to get married, how can I deny Fate’s role ?

When I see a boy who slogged day and night for the exams gathering a real good knowledge of the subject, ending up with a mere 60 % and his friend who merely copied from his paper verbatim but with a beautiful handwriting ending up with 80 %, how can I deny Fate’s role ?

Fortunately / unfortunately, when the logic of almost a billion people in our country that two people must be from same financial status, same religion, same caste & same colour in order that their marriage with each other be successful, seems to be working, how can I deny fate’s role ?

So, I have to agree that fate does exist. God does write our destinies. It seemed hard to accept, but then things certainly seem to be right that way ! And it feels good too that everything is pre decided. Feels enlightened to know that the world is a stage and I am just an actor speaking out dialogues :)

But then again, strangely a realization struck me.

2 comments:

The Idle Brain said...

Fate is a teacher..
It perfectly knows what we need to learn.. Unfortunately, it teaches only the hard way. But if you learn ur lessons well, it rewards u well too...

The Idle Brain said...

Have you ever observed... after all this, you become either wiser or a loser. Its all within u