Saturday, October 18, 2008

My India - The Best Country ? - Part 1

Almost an year into my Stay away from my India, I decided I’ll finally feel the question that has been pounding my heart ever since my departure from there.

“Sai, do you think my India is really the best country in the world ?”, my heart asked.

“hahaahaa, What sort of a funny question is this ? And don’t you know my reply, especially when I know that there is every chance that you are going to write a blog out of it whenever you ask such questions ? Come on yaar, India is India ! It is the best no matter what. India rocks man !”, replied my mind.

“Be honest”, asserted my heart.

“Come on dear, Did you not eat the salt of India for 23 years ? And just an year away from our place and you think you are a maha thope who can question the greatness of a country which has a 5000 year culture, which has given the world the Vedas, which is the root of all humanity in the world, which has never invaded another country in its history, which is tolerance personified, moral values exemplified and family values personified ?”, said my mind.

“Don’t you think we are just a little too over glorified ?” asked my heart.

“You are provoking me dear ! You are supposed to be very kind in nature but only I know that when it comes to arguments with me, you are the most cruel and ruthless. The world calls you a conscience for your ruthlessness but will call me a selfish person with a cunning ‘mind’, someone with no values and someone who has forgotten his roots too soon on speaking the truth. Its unfair yaar. So, no more arguments. INDIA IS THE BEST. Anyways, aren’t you an Indian yourself too ? Don’t you know what to feel when such a question is asked ? Why do you even ask me ? :( You are an Indian and you have to feel yourself as the best whenever such thoughts come and trust me you are too ! Please be patriotic and faithful to the salt you ate”, finished my mind.

“Yes dear, you are very true. If you think patriotism as a thought that your country is the best in the world just because YOU were born in it, then my India is the BEST. And no second thoughts about it. But don’t you think such a patriotic thought of calling YOUR country as the best just because YOU were born there in it, is just another form of ego ? An ego that is concealed by a beautiful name ? And anyways, as of now, just between us, I am asking you to answer it with a real patriotic feeling not a patriotic thought ! ”, said my heart.

“Patriotic feeling ? What’s the difference between patriotic thought and patriotic feeling ?” asked my mind.

“Patriotic thought is to ‘think’ that your country is the best in the world no matter what just because YOU were born in it ! It is protecting and defending your right to think so. Patriotic feeling is to ‘feel’ that your country must become the best and start working towards making it if it is not ! And you can only work towards making it the best only when you accept it isn’t and see where it isn’t ! So, unless you let me know that it isn’t and start working towards it, please do not think you have patriotic feelings. You are just being egoistic as ever ! You only have patriotic thoughts and not patriotic feelings. Anyways no more talking about this. Go ahead, think India is the best” Said my heart.

“Heyyy, What’s this ! What sin did I commit that makes you always torture me in such ways ! Please do let me go. God gave you free will, independence and a good brand name no matter what you say. People will associate all good things with you no matter what. But my friends and people do not do that to me. I have to live with them and their thoughts about me for the next few decades and how can I live with them if I don’t call and think of them as the best ? Infact how can I live with myself if I did not think so ? Please yaar, understand.”

“Hypocrite”, Said my heart.

“Oh if I am a hypocrite, then you are nothing but a bunch of secret feelings. And if I am Hypocrite, big deal, so be it ! I am being a hypocrite only to you, not to my people”, replied my agitated mind.

“Hyprocrite you are not being to me, but to your people own you dumbo !”

“Ok ok, don’t even bother about what I am. No one will want to find it out except you. And even if they did too, they are not going to hang me. They are all the same as me. So, please sleep now. There is a mid term next week. By the way, know what ? The orkut photos of us is not looking great these days ! Need to put on some weight. What say ?”, said my mind trying to divert the topic.

There was silence from the heart.

“Are you there ?” asked my mind.
No reply from the heart.
“Hello, are you there ? there ? Echoooooo”, tried my mind once again.

“Ok.. Stop your satyagraha now ! I give up. Please do speak. Else I cannot sleep the whole night !” begged my mind.

No reply yet.

“I promise I’ll be honest and say what I think” offered my mind.

My heart was not yet moved. No reply.

“And people say you are very tender and you are easily moved ! Ok now.. Final deal. You can also write a blog about it and I don’t care what people would think of me. So, please do speak now !”

There was a sudden feeling of happiness rushing into the blood.

“Promise ?” asked my heart.

“Bribe works even with the heart. No wonder it is the most sought after in our place. When It works with you, it should work with anyone !”, thought my mind to itself.

“Promise ?, Do you promise that you’ll honestly express your thoughts on the topic and then write a blog on it” asked my heart again.

“Dear, don’t you know me and my ability to keep promises ?” replied my mind in a satirical tone.

“That is the reason I am asking you. If you fail to be honest, I’ll haunt you for life ! And you know how that feeling can be”, warned my heart.

“Ok ok. I promise”

“So, do you feel that India is the best country in the world ?”, asked my heart.
“Well I feel my India can be the best country in the world”, replied my mind.
“I need honesty. Not diplomatism please” said my heart authoritatively.

“Hmm.. ok yaar.. its not. Agreed.. Enough ? India isn’t the best country in the world. Its 11 in the night now. I am feeling very sleepy and want to sleep. Bye”, said my mind turning on the Ipod and falling into a trance.

No comments: