Saturday, October 18, 2008

My India - The Best Country ? - Part 2

At 2:30 in the night, I suddenly woke up. The ipod just finished playing “chaiyya chaiyya” and started playing “Dil sey rey..” I felt thirsty.

I grabbed a glass of water, checked the time and switched off the alarm that would be ringing in another 30 minutes. As I was pulling over the pillow over me to sleep again and felt its cozy warmth, a silent voice asked “Why isn’t it the best ?”

“What ? What is why isn’t it the best ? What are you talking about ? Oh, the movie ? I guess that movie had no script to it. Hence it flopped. Just because Malaika danced to an A.R.Rehman tune doesn’t mean the movie must be a hit. Even Mangal pandey had good music. Was it a hit ?” Said my mind.

“I am asking you why do you think India is not the best country in the world ?”

“What ? Which dumbo on the planet said so ? Shoot that Namak Halal with a gun.” said my mind.

“You said it !”, said my heart.
“Huh ! What ? When ? What’s the proof ? ” asked my mind.
“The promise !”, reminded my heart.

“Hmm.. Will you never give up ?” asked my mind.
“When you don’t, why should I ?”, replied my heart proudly.

“Its 2:45 in the night yaar. Are you crazy ? You forced some thoughts out of me before i went to sleep and are asking me to justify that now ? You are a sadist !”

“Yes, I am crazy and sadist. That is the reason all love & hatred comes from me and all reasons & logic to do so from you. Right now I want reasons from you for your thoughts about India not being best in the world.”

“Hmm.. Anyways, ok yaar.. I tell you.. I’m not being diplomatic but the truth is my India can become the best in the world. But will it ? I’m not so sure.”

“Ours is a country that got independence from a ruler who ruled us on DIVIDE AND RULE principle. But then I think we achieved independence only from the ruler but not from the rule.” Said my mind.

“Hmm.. What do you mean ?” questioned my mind.

“I mean everything. From classifying a newly born child to choosing with which child must the parents stay during old age, everything is still based on divide and rule principle.

A boy child is preferred over a girl child at birth – Division at the time of very birth based on Gender. Two girl children in the same family and the society is extremely happy ! Not for the family but for the mountain of life that the family has to climb before it gets the respect of the society.

At education again, the division begins on gender basis. The boy child begins to rule. But then i pity the boy for getting the preferrence. It is just the beginning of hell. They are put into education which is nothing short of a training to hate your fellow being and compete with him/her in the name of cut throat competition. Just 7 technological and 6 management institutes of international repute for a population of over a billion. 5000 seats for over a crore people. Those who make it are considered THE BEST. Those who didn’t are treated as B Grade movies and need to put up with the stigma associated with it for the rest of their lives no matter what.

My heart, where hardwork meets opportunity, genious is born. But then where opportunity is given based on the karma done by forefathers, fate is accepted. I don’t even dare to speak of that topic. I’m accept it as my fate and I blame my grandfather for it. That guy didn’t allow his friend to come into his village and school, so in return i should not go into a university which I rightfully deserve on merit. By making two wrongs, we will do a right.

And so now at age 25 you have a boy who has accepted his fate, a girl who thinks that life is unfair. Adding salt to injury is when the girl is all of a sudden married to this boy, because its time, through a system that exists for getting society’s respect than for creating each other’s love !

And i love my country inspite of all this. You know why ? Because it has found a way and taught me to fight this division and live through it. It is called “adjusting”. It represents corruption. As per this way, if you cannot go to the university you deserve for a degree, then buy the degree from a printing press ! University degrees are worth a few thousand rupees. Jobs arising out of them worth a few lakh rupees and the society has said that all this can be again collected from the girl’s family as dowry at the time of marriage.
And so what is morally corruption, is treated as investment. The higher you invest, the more is the return. And the higher your returns, the lesser are the unfulfilled needs of life and more is the happiness. And with lesser needs, more happiness in life, you become a good man and eligible for salvation.

Where on earth can you find such romantic naughtiness in a system which has righted two wrongs beautifully and made happiness even in what should have been sheer misery, wrongness and injustice. And no country in the world can claim to have done this with a 100 crore people for 60 continous years after freedom. And that is why i think my India can be the best but am not sure if it will be. It is hard to fight a system to has learn to adjust to misery than fight to live with happiness.

And these are just divisions at birth and education on gender and opportunity basis. It is just the beginning. The real fun is the division based on religion and caste. When you see that there is a Brahmin community, a Reddy community, a Naidu community, an Iyer community, a Telugu community, a Tamil community, a Gujarati community and every possible community on the planet except an “Indian community”, imagine how deep is our Divide and Rule principle ! To be belonging to a community is our birthright and we will have it, Use it and Propogate it ! That is our way to salvation after death and we will not give it up. To live in hell so that we can go to heaven after we die is our motto.

And know what my heart ? I am very happy that by not respecting, not loving and not caring for every person equally when I live, I am going to heaven after I die ! God is great ! I love him and it is for his love I am facing all this.", finished my mind.

“ Hmm, when you see so many problems why don’t you do something to change this ?” asked my heart.

“ What ? Who said they are problems ? Are you an idiot ? Come on yaar..See the west ! They are the ones with problems. They are shameless. Firstly, they don’t even respect their parents. Focus on making wealth by loosing health and then spend all the wealth to get back the health. Is that a life too ? And see how unfaithful they are to each other. See how insecure and lonely their life is. See how careless they are for a fellow person.”

“Compare them with our place, my neighbour is after me and news about me more than his/her own child :-). And that is because of love. Isn’t it ? I’m always compared with someone who is better than me so that I feel encouraged to become them and spend my life doing it. Where can you find such people who think for you and only about you ? :-) If I was in Infosys, I am encouraged to target Microsoft.. If I am in Microsoft, I am encouraged to work onsite.. And if I am onsite, I am encouraged to take care of my parents by getting them there and if I take them there I am encouraged to come back to our country and do something for it. Amazing man.. ! Our love and care can make a Software Engineer out of a Writer, a Doctor out of a Painter, a Manager out of an Engineer and literally anyone out of someone. ”

“In short a looser out of a winner”, said my heart.

“How dare you say that ! Don’t you know that 30 % of Microsoft are Indians, U.S. rocks because of Indians, there isn’t a country and company in the world who’s growth doesn’t have the contribution of a talented Indian.. How dare you call us Indians loosers ? We are all rounders and we like to think so”

“So, why don’t you do something about it ?” asked my heart.
“About what ?” my mind asked.

“About all these problems !” asked my heart.

“Arey again and again I ask, are you crazy or what ? Who said they are problems ? My country is the best in the world. It is shining ! It is going to lead the world in 2020. Even if it doesn’t, we have bollywood. we will make a movie and show people on how it will feel to lead the world, just like we made Chak De India showing our Women’s hockey team winning the world cup. We are living on the principle, “If you cannot be, feel to be !” And if you cannot feel so, treat this world as Maaya. Heaven is full of Indians and there we are the best and the most represented because we lived our lives the 'right' way. We faced our karma without complaint rather than doing any karma that you want me to do to change. We understood that life on earth is just transitory and can end any moment. So why worry about it ? Plus this is Kaliyuga, doing anything and everything is considered sinful in these times. We will adjust in this Yuga and through time and not work, we will become the best. But know what heart ? I only pity the west. They do not know all such things. They think they are the best and that they will remain the best. Poor guys, when they shall die, they will know the truth. They will go to hell for kissing the one they love in public, they will go to hell for choosing to live away from their parents and they will go to hell to suffer for enjoying here instead of suffering. But we, who can evetease in public, we have the largest number of old age homes in the world, we who have the largest number of hostels in the world, we who will deny equal opportunities to everyone, we who will consider disability as a "purva janma paapa" instead of creating facilities to counter the same, we will suffer here and will not work to change but then by suffering selflessly and accepting our karma as such, we will please God, Go to heaven and Enjoy there. Till then let the west think they are the best, while we will sacrifice, suffer and wait for death to show them who really are the best. What say ?” asked my mind.

“Hmm.. I am not sure what to say. But I am just reminded of a couple of lines from a famous movie”, Said my heart.

“And what is that ?” asked my mind.

“Ab bhi Khoon Jiska Naa Khaula, Khoon Nahin Woh Paani Hain. Joh Desh Kay Kaam Naa Avey Who Bekar Jawaani Hain”, replied my heart.

“Ya ya sleep now ustad, there’s a mid term next week and i cannot get my returns for the investment if i don't study well and get a job !”, said my mind.
My heart didn't say a word anymore..

No comments: